Monday, March 5, 2007

Essential Reading for the Romance Writer

A few notes on some writers and their very helpful advice, especially for the writing novice.

Deb Stover has posted online a wonderful excerpt from her book How to Write a Romance for the New Markets. It's called "The Purple Prose Eater" and manages to be both funny, relevant, and informative about the use of language in romance novels. If you're suffering from a rejection notice, her "rejection protocol for writers" is humorous and comforting.

Maggie Toussaint's web site also has some words of advice and encouragement for the new writer. I especially enjoyed her article "Banishing Your Wolf of Self-Doubt" and wish I had seen that article months ago. After completing my first romance story, I hesitated to submit it because of doubts over whether it was any good. As I've learned, it's better to submit and then move on with your next work than to stew over one story.

1 comment:

Deb Stover said...

Thanks, Sara. So glad you enjoyed "The Purple Prose-Eater." The book, HOW TO WRITE A ROMANCE FOR THE NEW MARKETS was compiled by Kathryn Falk of ROMANTIC TIMES MAGAZINE. My "purple" article is my only contribution to the comprehensive collection. :) So I certainly can't claim it as mine! Only my article is mine.... Happy writing and reading!