Sunday, March 11, 2007

Inspiration

You never know when inspiration will strike. I was hard at work researching various locales of England for my novel when I came across an interesting article by Beatrice Sant called "Wandering Down the Wye" (Realm Magazine, October 2006). Within the article, she briefly mentioned that Hay-on-Wye's castle was turned into a bookshop. Being an unrepentant bibliophile, I found that fact fascinating and instantly went into further research mode. Apparently, the entire town is devoted to books, literally millions of them, and has over 40 bookstores. My imagination went into overdrive, and I thought how I would love to work in a castle-bookshop. Hence, "The Earl's Enchantment" was born.


To the left, you can see a photo of the exterior of the castle, which Richard Booth revitalized when he purchased it. I think creating an original and vivid setting is essential, and with inspiration like Hay Castle, it makes my job as a writer that much easier.

1 comment:

Lenora Bell said...

Hi Sara, thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you don't mind that I added you to my blogroll.

"The Earl's Enchantment" sounds wonderful--the combination of castles and books is irresistible. I hope you get to visit that town some day...